Stilwell Canada, stilwellcanada.ca, a virtual Faculty of Health Sciences & Wellness community, formerly named Stilwell Ontario.
What is it?
- Stilwell is a virtual learning tool, consisting of a series of videos, blog posts and online newspaper articles, all pertaining to the characters of the fictional city of Stilwell.
- Designed to represent a typical Canadian neighbourhood with a wide social and cultural demographic mix, the health, social and personal problems of the residents are situated, contextualized, and followed. Their stories are brought to life and embedded in the community with the aid of multimedia.
- Learners (both students and practicing clinicians) from different disciplines work through the cases to respond to health related issues and to create dialogue around the roles and responsibilities of providers. Participants experience greater engagement in the lives and events of the people in Stilwell than in a typical case study.
- 13 Cases. 44 Episodes. Electronic health records.
Who is this for?
- Multiple FHSW programs currently use the site, for example, nursing (both PN and BN programs), Paramedic, Pharmacy Technician, and post-grad nursing.
- The content is flexible though and can be incorporated into programs that may be less obvious.
Why the name change in 2019?
- Launched in 2009 and hosted externally, stilwellontario.ca served learners well. An opportunity was presented to bring the content in-house.
- Removing the name 'Ontario' opens up Canadian partnering opportunities. Our content management system now allows custom regions to be entered, for example Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick, etc, thus stilwellcanada.ca was born!
- For advertising purposes we display stilwellcanada.ca, however a redirect sends the user to healthsciences.humber.ca/stilwell
How to access?
- Every member of FHSW has access to this virtual community. If you do not have access, email Wendy Murphy.
- Initially, log in using your Humber email address for your username and password. After logging in the first time, you are encouraged to change your password. Perhaps synchronize it to be the same as your Humber account.